June 23 – 28, 2020*
The Sex Addiction Intensive is a solution for individuals who struggle with a sexual addiction. The Thorpe Recovery Centre provides a safe environment for you to gain a deeper sense of self and your behaviours. Led by CSAT (Certified Sex Addiction Therapists) counsellors, the Thorpe Recovery Centre’s Sex Addiction Intensive is based on the International Institute for Trauma and Addiction Professionals (IITAP) curriculum ofDr. Patrick Carnes.We use a comprehensive approach that addresses not only the acting out behaviour but also its roots.The teamutilizesa range of treatment methods including experiential, group and individual sessions along with psycho-educational workshops. This is a safe and non-judgemental environment to work through your sexual addiction.
*program date is subject to change based on interest
What is Sex Addiction?
Sex Addiction is characterized by compulsive and often high-risk sexual behaviour. Some behaviour that is often associated with sexual addiction are:
- Anonymous Sexual Encounters
Impact of Sex Addiction
Compulsive thoughts consume an addict’s life and make it impossible to live a productive or happy life. Relationships suffer, physical consequences like Sexually Transmitted Infections or Erectile Dysfunction can occur and even financial or legal problems can ensure.
Sex addiction is often referred to as an intimacy disorder; meaningful relationships and connections to the world escape a man or woman struggling with the addiction. As a result, sex addicts are often engulfed in feelings of guilt, shame, and low self-esteem.
Who Should Attend?
Adults over 18 years of age who:
- Struggle with compulsive sexual behaviours or sexual anorexia and want help.
- Experience negative consequences from sexual behaviours.
- Are unsure if he/she has a problem with sex addiction.
What Will I Learn?
The Intensive is broken into lectures, process groups, and therapeutic activities. Over the 6 days you will work through:
- Addiction Interaction
- Emotional Regulation
- Grief & Trauma
- Intimacy in Relationships
- Recovery Community
- Recovery Planning
- Relapse Prevention
- Self Care
- Understanding the cycle of addiction
- Unmanageability & Shame
What Can I Expect?
- Assessments (SDI, PATHOS, PTSI-R)
- Individual Counselling: An opportunity to speak privately about your actions and understand the root cause of your behaviour.
- Process Groups: Listen and give feedback to your peers. Share your experience to support others.
- Recovery Planning: Learn how to make healthier decisions and design a plan for recovery.
- Continuing Care: Get connected with outpatient counselling and to support groups to help maintain your recovery plan.
For more information about our intensives, times and fees, please contact our administration office at:
780.875.8890 or 1.877.875.8890
The Thorpe Recovery Centre takes a well-rounded approach to ensure clients are on the path to recovery and don’t substitute one addiction for another. Curriculum is tailored to each individual’s needs, and includes several core lectures, specialty groups and support groups to guide clients on their journey.
The Thorpe Recovery Centre provides structure and basic guidelines clients will need when they re-integrate into the “real world”.