The Walter A. “Slim” Thorpe Recovery Centre Society has been in operation since 1975 and is the governing body of the Thorpe Recovery Centre. Society Members can be Alumni, community supporters, previous staff members, and anyone who is passionate about the cause.
We love to watch our Thorpe Community grow! To join our Society and be an active member of the recovery journey of those who seek our services, please complete the Society Membership form (below) and send it to the Thorpe Recovery Centre with your one-time membership fee of $25.00 enclosed. As a Regular Member, you can vote in Society Meetings and may be eligible to become a Director of the Board who provides strategic leadership for the Thorpe Recovery Centre.
Regular Membership Eligibility:
- Must be a resident of Canada and at least eighteen (18) years of age.
- Regular Members cannot be an employee or a client that is actively participating in a residential
treatment program offered by the Society. Associate Membership is offered to these individuals.
- One-time fee of $25.00 for a lifetime membership, until notice is received by the Board of Directors
the member wishes to revoke membership.
- Fee to be paid before Member has voting rights at meetings.
BOARD OF DIRECTORS
The role of the Walter A. ‘Slim’ Thorpe Recovery Centre Society Board of Directors is to set policy and review operations and financials through reports from the CEO and subcommittees established by the Board. The role of the Board is based on a governance model rather than an operational or administrative model. The Board is comprised of 5-9 volunteers of different capacities and the specific roles, responsibilities and duties of the Board are governed by the Society bylaws as well as Board-specific policies and procedures.
Members of the Board are elected from the Society’s Regular Membership. To join there is a short information form and a one-time membership fee of $25.00. This one-time fee goes towards the aims and objectives of the Society. As a Regular Member, you can vote in Society Meetings and may be eligible to become a Director of the Board.
How Our Governance Board Operates:
- The Board has only one employee: the Chief Executive Officer (CEO).
- The CEO is responsible for the entire staff organization.
- The Board as a unit and the CEO are colleagues, only the Board has the authority over the CEO.
- The Board formulates the Society’s vision, mission, goals and strategic plan.
- The Board sets and approves the annual budget.
- The Board publicly discloses information about its governance processes, decision-making, and performance via the Thorpe Recovery Centre website, Bylaws, Annual Reports and Accreditation Canada Reports.
- The Board seeks to recruit members with various backgrounds, expertise and perspective, including professional disciplines such as accounting, medicine, law, policing and human resources.
- If you are interested in becoming a member of the Board, please download our Nomination Application.